Five Year Forward View
The Five Year Forward View was published in October 2014 and sets out a vision for the future of the NHS. It was developed by the partner organisations that deliver and oversee health and care services including Health Education England, NHS England, Public Health England, NHS Improvement and the Care Quality Commission.
Patient groups, clinicians and independent experts also provided their advice to create a collective view of how the health service needs to change if it is to close the widening gaps in the health of the population, quality of care and the funding of services.
The Five Year Forward View recognises the challenges and outlines potential solutions to the big questions facing health and care services in England. It defines the framework for further detailed planning about how the NHS needs to evolve.
Delivering the vision
The delivery of this ambitious agenda requires the NHS to operate across organisational boundaries both in the long and the short term. Various mechanisms and structures have therefore been created to take forward the work including:
- Taskforces in priority areas such as Mental Health and Cancer;
- The Five Year Forward View Board of Arm’s Length Bodies (ALB) Chief Executives;
- Locally based Vanguards testing new approaches to how care can be organised and delivered to local populations with the expectation that lessons learned from these areas will subsequently be spread across the country;
- Sustainability and Transformation Plans - using these plans, local health and social care organisations, under a united leadership, are planning services tailored to the needs of local communities;
- ALB Regional Directors working more closely together by sharing resources, intelligence and data to support local organisations and health systems;
- A Workforce Advisory Board (WAB), chaired by HEE’s chief executive, which brings together national partners to discuss and seek solutions to FYFV related workforce issues.
Sustainability and Transformation Plans (STPs) in local areas
Sustainability and Transformation Plans will show how local services will evolve and become sustainable over the next five years – ultimately delivering the Five Year Forward View vision of better health, better patient care and improved NHS efficiency.
HEE is supporting the workforce elements of the STPs through Local Workforce Action Boards (LWABs) which will ensure that decisions about the NHS and social care workforce take place in the right place at the right time with the right people. The LWABs are working closely with the health and social care providers and commissioners around the workforce elements of the STPs.