There are 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK, with numbers set to rise to over 1 million by 2025 and 2 million by 2051.
In response to the Prime Ministers Challenge on Dementia 2020 and the 2015-16 Mandate from the Government to Health Education England (HEE) we're supporting the development of an informed and effective workforce for people living with dementia. This means all health and social care staff involved in the care of people who may have dementia, should have the necessary skills to provide the best quality care in the roles and settings where they work. This is being achieved through the delivery of effective basic training alongside continuous professional and vocational development in dementia.
By 2020 we would wish to see all NHS staff having received training on dementia appropriate to their role.
- Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia 2020
Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework
The Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework is a comprehensive resource to support health and social care staff, educators and carers who work with and care for people living with dementia. It sets out the essential skills and knowledge necessary for all staff involved in the dementia care pathway and will enable organisations to:
- standardise the interpretation of dementia education and training
- guide the focus and aims of dementia education and training delivery through key learning outcomes
- ensure the educational relevance of dementia training
- improve the quality and consistency of education and training provision.
The framework structures dementia education and training in three tiers; awareness, fundamental skills and leadership needed for dementia care.
All HEE commissioned undergraduate programmes must include tier one awareness training as part of the curriculum.
- Tier 1 Training - free to access Tier 1 dementia awareness training packages
- Dementia Guide for Carers and Care Providers - comprehensive guide for everyone who cares for someone with dementia
- Finding Patience - raising awareness of dementia in the African Caribbean community
- Fred's Story - highlighting unsafe mobility for people with dementia who may leave their place of care
- The Appointment - understanding the issues faced by a person with dementia when attending an appointment
- Dementia Roadmap - helping primary care staff diagnose, support and signpost people with dementia