General practice nursing workforce strategy
We have recently established a working group to develop a general practice nursing workforce strategy. This will build on the launch of the District Nursing and General Practice Nursing Service Education and Career Framework and collate examples of good practice across England.
The strategy will look at how to:
- improve training capacity in general practice
- increase the number of pre-registration nurse placements
- introduce measures to improve retention of the existing nursing workforce and;
- support for return to work schemes for practice nurses
It will be a dual-purpose strategy to help meet the needs of the general practice nursing workforce of the future, by:
1. bringing together work currently underway within Health Education England, NHS England and other relevant organisations to form a national report and
2. providing a practical ‘how to’ guide for general practice based organisations including CCGs, federations, educators, general practitioners, practice managers and general practice nurses.
The working group will take into consideration a range of evidence, through written submissions, a stakeholder engagement event and literature review. We are inviting stakeholders to submit evidence to the working group by completing the template below.
Draft responses should be submitted by Monday 5 September 2016, final versions by Monday 19 September 2016, using the template and within the 1000 word limit. Please submit responses by email to HEE.GPN-Strategy@nhs.net.