Archive: NED Development and Appraisal
NHS Chairs asked Yorkshire and the Humber’s Leadership Academy to develop a framework and process to support Non-Executive Director (NED) development through feedback and improvement-focussed action. The request reflected three principle drivers:
- A desire to maximise the talent and important contribution of NEDs.
- Appreciation of differences in the leadership roles of NEDs and executive directors warranting a bespoke development framework and approach.
- The challenge for those responsible for appraising and supporting the development of NEDs who often have limited opportunity to directly observe NEDs in action.
This work comes at a time of increasing demands on the NED role and that of the whole board against a backdrop of:
- Increasing system complexity, diversity of organisations and a drive toward integration.
- Challenges in shaping organisations for delivery now and in the future.
- Increasing expectation and scrutiny.
- The framework has good face validity with NEDs as a reflection of their current focus.
- The framework and orientation models received feedback that the focus of NEDs on longer term strategy and capability development needs to increase.
- Executive coaching has been well received as supportive and provocative head space.
- NEDs are identifying both personal and wider organisational development goals through the process.
- Chairs express confidence that the process will enhance appraisal and development processes.
The Non-Executive Director Feedback and Development Framework has been developed by Anthony Owens, Jacinta Elliot and Professor Jeff Gold.
This Page was last updated on: 8 August 2016