inclusive Talent Management Approach
Our ambition as part of our inclusive Talent Management (iTM) programme of work is to help our West Midlands system and stakeholders to maximise the potential of our healthcare workforce, managers and leaders, which will in turn help to improve the health and wellbeing of our local population and service users.
How we are supporting the West Midlands with talent management, succession and maximising people potential
The work we do supports individual organisations to implement their talent management approaches, whilst also supporting the West Midlands system with system succession and talent planning for more senior leadership roles.
Talent management principles underpin our entire programme of work and are integrated into all that we do. As part of the iTM programme specifically, we do the following:
- System thinking: Support the development of system talent and succession planning through engagement with organisational talent leads, executives and systems leaders.
- Connecting and enabling: Facilitate and enable system leaders to identify and collaboratively tackle talent challenges through our leadership, talent and OD networks.
- Tailored support: Provide bespoke consultancy-style support, toolkits and best practice initiatives to help organisations design, implement and re-imagine their talent management approaches.
- Expertise: Offer talent management expertise, training and e-learning programmes to raise awareness of maximising potential.
- Release Potential: Offer talent identification and assessment interventions to help individuals explore and understand their career and leadership potential.
West Midlands System Talent and Succession
We engaged organisational executives and systems leaders to develop our Pulse Check report. This report outlines our work during 2015 - 2016 to gain a position statement on better understanding our healthcare organisational progress toward implementing talent management and succession frameworks, as well as gaining a more accurate understanding of executive level senior leadership talent pipelines for the West Midlands system.
Our ambition is that this work will help to benchmark and create a position statement on where our West Midlands system is currently at in terms of its talent management journey, and subsequently inform our local and national leadership and talent development discussions and interventions moving forwards into the future for 2016 and beyond business planning.
Organisational Talent Management Implementation Support
We are able to offer bespoke support to organisations in developing, designing and enhancing your strategic approach to talent management and maximising the potential of your workforce. We are able to offer you:
- Consultancy style expert support in evaluating, designing and enhancing your organisational approach to maximising the potential of your workforce.
- Toolkits and contemporary approaches toward talent management.
- Connecting you to wider best practice in the field and fellow organisations through our talent leads network.
- Introduction to talent management e-learning modules.
If you lead on talent management in your organisation and wish to find out more, please do contact us and our team will be able to help you: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talent Management organisational toolkit
- Free introduction to Talent Management e-learning
- National talent toolkits and resources
Defining Talent Management and Maximising Potential
An industry standard of talent and talent management can be defined as:
- Talent: consists of those individuals who can make a difference to organisational performance either through their immediate contribution or, in the longer-term, by demonstrating the highest levels of potential.
- Talent management: is the systematic attraction, identification, development, engagement, retention and deployment of those individuals who are of particular value to an organisation, either in view of their ‘high potential’ for the future or because they are fulfilling business/operation-critical roles (CIPD, 2015)
To us, this definition is too formal. We prefer to use the terminology of ‘Maximising Potential’ as we all have potential to grow, develop and achieve great things. We believe talent management and maximising potential in its simplicity is anything that involves enabling and bringing the best out of our people. After all, our people are at the heart of everything our health and care system is about.
Networks Lead Development Opportunities - Leadership, OD, Talent, Inclusion, Coaching, Learning
The most exciting part of the events focused on co-creating a support offer for our Networks Leads to help them in their roles in Leadership, OD, Talent, Inclusion etc. leads in their organisations and across the system. As a taster, some of the ideas coming forward focused on enhancing systems thinking, improving personal resilience, sharing case studies, creative uses for coaching, training each other, developing local (STP area) network groups and accessing stretch assignments to develop key skills. We will be writing back to share more details of our co-created plans to jointly develop our networks. Keep an eye out for our calendar of Network Leads Events, covering OD, Talent, Inclusion, Systems and Personal Development, coming soon!!
All of the documents and slides from the events can be found here:
This Page was last updated on: 18 July 2017