E-resources, OpenAthens and the link resolver
For information about e-resources, OpenAthens and the link resolver South West, Thames Valley and Wessex.
A list of the portfolio of national resources available from 1 April 2015 onwards is available on the LKSL website
For regionally funded resources, please see the lists in the Related documents section below.
Other nationally available e-resources
- BNF and BNFC via the platform Medicines complete – provided by NICE
- The Cochrane Library – provided by NICE
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries – provided by NICE
- 'Finch' collections - the majority are no longer available. However the Annual Reviews are available and a backfile has been purchased in perpetuity. Also Science Translational Medicine is still available. These are available via IP access.
Recently terminated national e-resources
- Lancet - funded by NICE - was available until Dec 2015 but the subscription is now terminated and no backfile is available
- Map of Medicine - there is no longer a national sub, however access via OpenAthens may still be enabled to the standard version as the supplier has not switched it off. Some CCGs are subscribing and are localising the pathways.
E-resources, OpenAthens and the link resolver - regional and national support
See support documents available in the Related documents section below including 'Local e-resource access - what to check'.
See also the guides on the NICE website. These include guides for local administrators and also a list of FAQs for problem solving e-resource access problems.
See also OpenAthens training videos - note that some of the content is less relevant to SW local administrators because these functions are carried out by the SW team at TOR.
The slides and recording of the training for local link resolver administrators held by OCLC on 1 March 2017 are available on the library services website.
A 'clinic' for link resolver administrators will be held via WebEx on Wed 26th April 11am-12noon. Details will be circulated in due course on the LIB-SOUTH-ERESOURCES discussion list.
Refresher training for OpenAthens administrators will be advertised shortly.
See the list 'E-resources - who to contact' in the Related documents section below.
Please also make use of the LIB-SOUTH-ERESOURCES mailing list for queries about local administration of OpenAthens and the link resolver - joining instructions are on the Discussion lists webpage. This list is also used to advertise training for local administrators.
We encourage mutual support, and to this end also encourage sharing the work of both OpenAthens and the link resolver in local teams. The regional leads can create additional logins for the link resolver in addition to that for the named local administrator - please ask if required.
The regional OpenAthens administrators for Thames Valley and Wessex are Helen Williams Helen.F.Williams@hhft.nhs.uk and Paul Bradley Paul.Bradley@hhft.nhs.uk
The regional OpenAthens administrators for the South West are the Torbay library team email@example.com
The regional link resolver administrator for Thames Valley and Wessex is Helen Williams Helen.F.Williams@hhft.nhs.uk
The regional link resolver administrator for the South West is Jenny Toller firstname.lastname@example.org