Work based learning is a great route for people who typically prefer to learn whilst they earn, already work in healthcare and want to enhance their qualifications, or prefer a more flexible pathway into careers. This covers roleRead More
Careers in health – what are my next steps?
The NHS Health Careers website has lots of information about roles in all areas of the NHS and has specific pages on general practice roles.
The site also guides you through the number of routes you can take to get a job and continue your learning – from apprenticeships, on the job training, how to apply for university courses in nursing, and how to apply for medical school if you want to become a doctor.
There are many roles which do not require specific training and education to undertake – most employers will require basic levels of maths and English as in any other role though. For people who want to access education to undertake specific roles, there are both ‘work based’ and university routes to consider. There is a lot changing in the way people can access education to develop into careers now – for example, did you know you can now become a nurse by undertaking an apprenticeship work based learning route?
- Learn about being a general practitioner (GP) - Health Careers
- Learn about general practice nursing (GPN) - Health Careers
- Learn about becoming a health care assistant (HCA) - Health Careers
Apprenticeships in general practice
Reaching your potential: Become a general practice nurse in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
General practice in Essex
Royal College of General practitioners (RCGP) Think GP campaign
List of resources (download below)
“No day is ever the same “ - Working in general practice leaflet
General Practice Nursing – reach your potential working in a Doctor’s surgery leaflet (coming soon)
- Careers in General Practice leaflet
- Apply for Medical School poster
- General practice Nursing in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough brochure
- General Practice in Essex brochure
- Health Education England General Practice Nursing career framework